Brushing Cat's Teeth... Really?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mariposa, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

I've heard about brushing teeth for cats a number of times recently. I'll admit that as much as we spoil and pamper our furry baby, this is something I never even considered may need to be done.

Do you brush your cat's teeth? We do use the Feline Greenies for dental health... is that enough or do people actually still brush the teeth? And if so, what would the best approach to doing that be? I can't see her being real happy about us trying to force her mouth open.

mariposa, Apr 23, 2013
  2. mariposa

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

It all depends on the cat really. One thing I've found from taking care of semi feral animals that I've socialized is that a "natural diet", aka small mammals, is perfect for their teeth. The vets have always marveled at the condition their teeth are in. My actual pets, who get a diet of mostly dry food, have reasonable dental health. But I used to feed my cats all wet food earlier in my life. And I've found this seriously degrades their teeth. If your cat tolerates it and you're willing, I'm sure the occasional brushing is a reasonable way to protect their teeth. Just make sure you've got supplies suitable and safe for cats to ingest. I can't really help you there.

BTCGuru81, Apr 24, 2013
  3. mariposa

Yiddo Active Member

I can't brush my cats teeth, he physically will not let me get anywhere close to the mouth/teeth of his.

Yiddo, Apr 24, 2013
  4. mariposa

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I've never brushed any of my past cats' teeth. I've never noticed any dental problems in any cats I've had. My cat Delores would never cooperate with having her teeth brushed ,even if I wanted to do it.

ACSAPA, Apr 25, 2013
  5. mariposa

Thank you all for these replies. If the cat tolerates it would probably be the determining factor for me and I just can't imagine that she'd allow it to happen. Good point, BTCGuru81, about the wet and dry food. We feed a combination of both along with the Greenies so maybe it's helping her teeth. Not that she actually chews much of her food... it seems as if she just swallows without chewing a lot of the time!

mariposa, Apr 25, 2013
  6. mariposa

Trace Member

I know some people do brush their cats' teeth, and I'm sure if the cat puts up with it, it probably does help with dental health. Maybe there's some sort of brush out there that entices them to chew it and brush their teeth, making it easy to get them to brush. I've never done it, and probably wouldn't put any of us (me or the cats) through it. I do know diet has a lot to do with dental as well as overall health. My cats are now on a high quality dry food and don't get people food. Okay, well, not often, and only meats. I think it most likely that brushing a cat's teeth was someone's moneymaking idea, frankly.

Trace, Apr 26, 2013
  7. mariposa

glitteringfuzz Member

Honestly, have you seen some of the foul-smelling crud that grows on the back of cat teeth? I think if you can manage to do it, brushing a cat's teeth would not only be a bonding experience but it would clean off that gross plaque. That stuff will rot their teeth so why not get rid of it? With that being said, there are more natural ways for a cat to clean his or her teeth. But if you enjoy it and your cat enjoys it, I say brush away. :)

glitteringfuzz, Apr 26, 2013
  8. mariposa

I've not seen that crud, no... and at this point I'm pretty sure I won't be putting looking for it on my to-do list. :) But that last thing you said, that's the problem because I don't think I'd enjoy it very much and I know the cat wouldn't either.

mariposa, Apr 27, 2013
  9. mariposa

glitteringfuzz Member

That's the thing-- it is vital to check your cat's back teeth periodically. Their teeth and mouth health directly effect their overall health, just like us! If we have plaque or cavities, it can be deadly.

If you start proper dental health with a kitten, there will be no problems. Just bonding and enjoyment. Since we deny our cats their preferred natural method (we don't let our cats crunch on tiny animal bones and wood) it is our duty to clean their teeth. It isn't a matter of spoiling or pampering. It's our duty! :)

Not to worry, though. Any vet worth his salt will check them and clean them for you.

glitteringfuzz, Apr 27, 2013
  10. mariposa

Trellum Well-Known Member

I dont do the brushing myself, I didn't do it when he was small enough to get used to it. So now I have to get him yo get his teeth cleaned every year. I did it every 6 months, but I am facing financial issues right now.

Trellum, May 13, 2015
Ask a Question