Bred Cats and Predisposed Genetic Conditions?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by QuatreHiead, Aug 7, 2012.

1. QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

So, as I am getting more and more serious about the idea of adopting a couple of cats (despite obvious financial setbacks that have occurred recently... not something to discuss here), I wanted to get an idea of whether there are breeds to "avoid" or to be "aware" of as far as adopting. A friend recently adopted a dog and began discussing all the possible genetic conditions many bred dogs are predisposed to.

I am under the assumption that most cats for adoption are tabbies, therefore it wouldn't likely be as much of an issue.. however I thought I would see if anyone here had a better feel for this topic.

QuatreHiead, Aug 7, 2012
  2. QuatreHiead

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

It is true that there are some breeds of cats with genetic weaknesses to certain diseases down the line. I never knew about this when I was getting my cats, as we ended up just rescuing two cats being discarded on Kijiji.

If you can find a cat that has a mix of Ragdoll in it, you will get a great tempered cat. My Cats are Raggamuffins, which is a Ragdoll cross. They have no genetic weaknesses as you mentioned, and they also do not have any aggressive genes in them. They are dosile and perfect indoor cats for anyone with children.

Maybe someone else can give you more information on what to avoid, but hopefully this is a good starting point.

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
Ask a Question