Brand of food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by HappyRocinante, May 19, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

The two cats I have right now have only ever eaten 9Lives. The cat I had before this, I bought Purina One for because he was a long haired and slightly overweight baby who had troubles with hairballs on a regular basis. I have been thinking of changing brands because of Mouth's asthma, but since most dry foods have the same main ingredients, I am not sure it will be helpful. Do you think the more expensive brands like Blue and Science Diet are worth it?

HappyRocinante, May 19, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

Mystique Well-Known Member

I have always fed Science Diet to my cats, my father spoiled all the cats, no matter what breed. We get the dry food from Science Diet and mix it with Friskies wet food. That was how it was done since I was small and I took it after my parents' way of taking care of the cats.

One of my friend's cats has asthma and she only feeds him with Science Diet, she had tried many other brands, and she sticks to SD.

Mystique, May 19, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat eats Meow Mix but I am thinking about switching to a softer brand. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Belligerent, May 20, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

Mystique Well-Known Member

Is Meow Mix not good? I have a couple of friends that switch from it to something else. I have never tried it because I've always used the same brands for so long.

Mystique, May 20, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

My last cat didn't like Meow Mix, but I think that is the kind my mother in law uses. Most pet foods all have the same ingredients anyway they just might taste a little different. I have been thinking of changing to Science Diet or Blue since poor little Mouth has asthma. I want to see if it makes a difference. It is just so expensive!

HappyRocinante, May 20, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

I don't care that much about brand of food, I only try not tu buy the cheapest one. I believe that all food is not the same, as a friend of mine says. And my cats eat everything, so far.

violino, May 21, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

We used to use Science Diet because we thought it was the best. It may very well be, too, but it's so expensive and it still makes one of our cats sick, so we stopped buying it. She doesn't seem much better/worse than on some of the other brands like Purina, so we stick with those. So long as it doesn't make her worse, I don't see much reason to buy the more expensive ones any more.

Jessi, May 22, 2012
  8. HappyRocinante

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat loves Meow Mix, but when we got this new cat, she kept running in and eating the cats softer food, so I think she enjoys that better rather than one that is crunchy.

Belligerent, May 23, 2012
  9. HappyRocinante

Yeah, the problem is that the "better" food the more expensive it is.
    And we still can't be sure that it's really THAT good.
    This is what annoys me, really.

violino, May 23, 2012
  10. HappyRocinante

Anna T Active Member

My cats like Friskies and I have heard good things about Purina One, but there are a lot of weeks we don't buy those brands because they are more expensive.

She's really not too picky. We give her different brands all the time rather than just keeping her with the same and it doesn't seem to affect her much, although I have heard it's better to pick a brand and stick with it.

Anna T, May 23, 2012
  11. HappyRocinante

Are Friskies expensive, Anna T? Or you meant only Purina? Because yes, I know Purina is pretty expensive and considered to be the better one. But I though Friskies is one of those.. supermarket's food, cheap one.

violino, May 24, 2012
Ask a Question