Black cats have an unfair bad reputation

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ACSAPA, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

No seriously, it's unfair the negative public image that black cats have.
    A Korean neighbor was telling me about a proverb that you should never raise a black haired animal because they're unlucky and I thought "Well ,that's unfair."

A black cat can't help the color of his fur and one of the sweetest lap cats I ever had was a black cat named Batman. When I used to study music, my voice teacher had 3 black cats that liked to walk on the piano and be adorable in general.

Do you own/like/appreciate black cats and think the superstitions are just ridiculous and ignorant? Black dogs don't have to deal with this kind of foolishness.

They even have Halloween decorations of black cats, as if black cats are something to be feared. (Right ,because black cats are just as scary as zombies and vampires.) You don't see Halloween decorations of tabby cats or hamsters or ferrets, just poor, maligned black kitties.

I found this collection of quotes online praising black cats and I wanted to share it with you. Enjoy.

http://mysmelly.com/content/cats/black-cat-quotes-and-sayings.htm

ACSAPA, Jul 12, 2012
  2. ACSAPA

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think the superstitions are silly, but I also don't think that many people still -really- believe it either. And I really don't have an issue with black cats being used in Halloween stuff either because they -are- associated with bad luck and are traditional to the theme at this point. Not to mention that a black cat blends in with the night and can sound scarier, hehe. I really don't give it too much thought because I know plenty of people who have black cats anyway, but it doesn't make the joking go away entirely.

Jessi, Jul 12, 2012
  3. ACSAPA

S.O. Price Active Member

I have a black cat with beautiful green eyes. She was a stray. She was pretty friendly for a stray and picked up on the use of a litter box right away. It never crossed my mind that there was anything superstitious about having a black cat. She's quite a beauty. For the most part, she is very sweet and easy to manage, except she doesn't like the other female I have.

S.O. Price, Jul 13, 2012
  4. ACSAPA

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I really hate the superstitions and stuff about black cats. The largest problem I had was that it would go so far as some people would start to torture and kill them for sport or some other insanely inappropriate reason. This was particularly the case of course during Halloween. I took in a black cat who was the sweetest thing you'd ever meet around Halloween one year off the street because I was so worried about what could happen to her. I had heard awful horror stories of what people would do in general. I've never understood what could posess people to be so insensitive and unappreciative for an innocent creature who most of the time only wishes to bring them a little joy and sass up the world. Yuki was such a wonderful kitty, I will miss her dearly. (And yes, I did in fact have a black cat named Yuki. To clarify, that does indeed mean "snow" in Japanese. ^___^ I couldn't resist. Although I believe, hard to tell sometimes, she had a small white patch on her chest so not completely ironic.)

QuatreHiead, Jul 13, 2012
  5. ACSAPA

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

I really dislike superstitions, one they are dumb and like you said ACSAPA, they can't pick what colour they want to be. I had a black cat once and I'd have another one. I don't think that they are bad luck or any different from any other cat.

I think it's silly if people actually believe it and don't get black cats because of it.

BeautifulAngel, Jul 13, 2012
  6. ACSAPA

Rasputin Member

I think superstition is ridiculous in general but, yes, this one is quite ludicrous. Black cats are actually my favorite type of cat, partially in spite of the superstition but mostly because they just look so gosh darn awesome.

Also, could you please use a larger font size or the default one? It strains my eyes to have to read such a small font size. Much appreciated. :D

Rasputin, Jul 16, 2012
  7. ACSAPA

blackcapped Active Member

I own a black cat named Tsuki. She is certainly the most lively of my bunch and full of personality. She loves attention in the morning and has always been generally curious of faucets. However, since we own many black appliances, it is very difficult to photograph Tsuki. She blends in so well!

However, I seem to disagree with some of what is said here. I do not think that the superstitions surrounding black cats are being taken seriously, or at least, they are not in my area. (I live in Tennessee, USA.) These superstitions are treated with a more outdated manner. While the myth does still exist, it seems that many people jokingly bring it up.

I also like the mystical beauty of the black cat that is associated with Halloween. I know they are generally thought of in terms of bad luck, evil, or as the pets of witches, but mostly, I love the myth and mystery that surrounds them.

- - Side Note: At one of my favorite coffee shops, they do a special latte every year called 'The Black Cat' for Halloween. It is very good- flavored with blackberry, brown sugar, and black licorice whipped cream. A cute, little black cat is drawn onto the side of each coffee cup.

blackcapped, Jul 16, 2012
  8. ACSAPA

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I had a black cat named Safferfrass, and he was so adorable, but died recently. I agree that black cats have developed a bad reputation, and one day I hope to see people say all the good luck they have brought into their lives. I miss my black cat very much. everyone I know who has a black cat loves them because they're so adorable not, because they are something bad to be scared of.

Jenny Heart, Jul 16, 2012
  9. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

When I used to be married, my elderly Hispanic mother in law thought black cats were unlucky and used to cross herself when she saw one. At this point in time ,she would be 79 years old if we were still in contact. Anyway I think she just heard some things about black cats decades ago and never bothered to educate herself on the subject and just kept the ignorance going.

As I said, I've had black cats and they never affected my luck adversely or gave me anything but love.

ACSAPA, Jul 17, 2012
  10. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Of course the superstitions are outdated, but I live in Florida where a lot of people are elderly or come from other countries, so you can imagine all the superstitions and diverse belief systems I see around here.

That latte in your side note actually sounds delicious.

ACSAPA, Jul 17, 2012
Ask a Question