Best ways to remove hair from items?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HappyRocinante, May 21, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Any tips on how to remove cat hair from... well everything?!

I have hardwood floors and no matter how often I sweep there is always a little hairball tumbleweed crossing the floor somewhere. :confused:

How about how to get it off the furniture? Your clothes?

HappyRocinante, May 21, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

For clothes there are special "rolls" (I don't know if that is how it's called in English) - actually it works like sellotype ;) But it's good.

For the rest, I have no idea, personally I believe it's impossible.. I try to groom them to keep it under control but I don't think it works.

violino, May 21, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

For clothes and furniture, we use those "rolls" too. Between those little lint rollers and plain ol' duct tape/packing tape, we can usually get by. It's also worth trying to prevent some of the shedding by regularly brushing them. It's still going to be everywhere, but not as bad.

Jessi, May 22, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have hardwood floor and the hair slips through the cracks so I sweep as much as I can and then I break out the vacuum cleaner and set it on low. It works wonders. Don't forget to get behind the couch and under your bed.

steph84, May 22, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I've always had success with cat hair issues, by simply using the magic eraser product. It works on just about everything. Just dampen the magic eraser, and wipe the area that has hair on it, and you'll be able to pull the cat hair off of the eraser quite easily. Just rinse and squeeze the excess water out of it the eraser each and every time you want to use this item for cleaning up cat hair. I'll use nothing else ever to solve my cat hair problems.

Jenny Heart, May 22, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

LOL! I would love to do that but my cats will not have it! They bite the brush and wiggle so much that you just have to give up. I agree that it would work if I could get them to allow it. :D

HappyRocinante, May 22, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

violino Well-Known Member

Mine don't like brushing as well, but I can cope with that brushing them a few times every day just for a little while. Or maybe I would if it wasn't so boring :cool:

violino, May 22, 2012
  8. HappyRocinante

Mystique Well-Known Member

We use those rollers too, but now that Jenny Heart mentioned the magic eraser, I'm intrigued. I must check with the local pet store if they have it.

Yes, brushing the cats regularly would definitely help in decreasing the amount of their fur falling everywhere.

Mystique, May 22, 2012
  9. HappyRocinante

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Those lint rollers are excellent for that. Otherwise, a mop seems to do the trick.. I never try to sweep cat hair because you'll always miss tons of it.. you need something that the hair would stick to.

I agree with the others though- preventative measures are best and you'll help a lot just by brushing your kitties everyday.

Belligerent, May 23, 2012
  10. HappyRocinante

Anna T Active Member

It's almost impossible to totally get cat hair out of carpet. If you have carpet and you have a cat, just vacuum regularly to get most of it, but you'll have to make peace with the fact it's going to be there at least a little no matter how much you clean because cats (like people) are constantly shedding.

As far as your clothes are concerned, it's best to just buy some lint rollers and use those on yourself before you leave the house (especially if you are wearing dark colors).

Anna T, May 23, 2012
  11. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very true. Something else to do regularly is shampoo it. If you have a shampoo attachment for your vacuum cleaner, awesome. Otherwise, you can often rent them locally. You'll be amazed that no matter how many times you vacuum an area right before, the shampooer will still fill with air as it scrubs a bunch out.

Jessi, May 23, 2012
  12. HappyRocinante

Ja'cobeC Member

Car hair can be tricky to get off of things. I use a combination of lint rollers for clothes to vacuum cleaners for the carpet. Most of the time I do not get all of the hair because it seem sort of impossible. However, I try my best to get up as much as I can. Vacuuming regularly helps to decrease the amount of cat hair little by little.

Ja'cobeC, May 25, 2012
  13. HappyRocinante

tajnz Well-Known Member

Like another poster suggested I'd buy a few cheap lint rollers as they are marvellous at getting cat hair off your clothes. I'd also invest in getting a light, cordless vacuum cleaner that makes quick tidy ups a breeze. That way you can vacuum more often but spend less time vacuuming if that makes sense. :D

tajnz, Jun 8, 2012
Ask a Question