Bathing your cat, do you even attempt

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by nikki, Aug 18, 2012.

1. nikki

nikki Well-Known Member

Ive come to the conclusion my cats hate baths. Theres no doubt about it. I did try using dry shampoo for humans on them and that seemed to help a little but it was out of necessity and not something I plan to repeat often. I dont like putting flea collars on them or poweder because I feel like chemicals get all over the house and I dislike the smell. I just wish they would take a quick scrub without making me look like I sparred with Edward Scissor hands!

nikki, Aug 18, 2012
  2. nikki

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope, definitely not. There's no reason to bathe them.... they do it themselves.

We have bathed cats twice, though. Once was when she got stuck in one of those hanging fly traps. I didn't want her to lick and ingest all that chemical sticky trap stuff. The other was when my sister's cat got fleas so bad that meds weren't helping at all. So we gave her a flea dip and picked off the fleas the best we could in an attempt to minimize them.

Jessi, Aug 20, 2012
  3. nikki

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I did have a cat once that needed bathing regularly. There was something wrong with their mental state and a lot of instinctive things didn't quite happen as they should. He'd always get clumps of fur where dirt and things collected on his back, like he couldn't figure out how to get that spot. To this day we never figured out what was wrong with him. Poor baby hated baths, but he struggled with cleaning himself.

QuatreHiead, Aug 21, 2012
  4. nikki

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ah, that's really sad, QuatreHiead. I suppose a special needs cat would certainly warrant some help in the bathing department.

Jessi, Aug 21, 2012
  5. nikki

GA91 Member

Most cats do not like having a bath at all. However, a few of them do not hate it that much. It depends on the personality your cat has. I have three cats and unfortunately none of them like having a bath but I know how to wash them without getting them angry. My tactic is to get a wet cloth and rub it gently but firmly on their back and belly. Then I put their legs in a bucket full of watter and soap and clean their legs. Once you have done it four or five times your cat gets used to it and does not get angry with you when it is bath time again. But be warned that some cats hate water and you will have to be very careful.

GA91, Aug 21, 2012
Ask a Question