Are There Specific People Your Cats Hate?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blurinoctober, Dec 23, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Sibyl hates men. Every man she has ever met, even ones she's lived with, she's hated and ran away from. There's been only one exception, a 13 year old boy who was friends with my girlfriend's little sister. Maybe because of his age? I'm not sure.

Do your cats hate one gender? Age? Race? A specific person?

blurinoctober, Dec 23, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

tajnz Well-Known Member

I don't think so. I have owned a cat that was selective when it came to interacting with people but she didn't seem to discriminate on gender, age or race. One of dogs would always bark at people who were ethnically Indian. Everytime she saw an Indian person she'd start barking at them. :eek: Of course my mum and I were mortified as we like Indian people and felt really guilty about Rosie's behaviour.

tajnz, Dec 23, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  3. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

My cat hates everyone, lol! She's a very grumpy cat, to put it in the most PG of terms.

She does tend to prefer men, though, so her worst enemies tend to be females.

Jessi, Dec 23, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Awh! Does she love up on you or have issues because you're also a female? I don't think it'd be any fun to live with a cat that hates you.

blurinoctober, Dec 24, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

She doesn't hate me. In fact, she misses me quite a lot when I'm away and we get along just fine. Always have.

She's still a grouchy kitty, though, especially in her old age, so if she doesn't want to be pet or messed with, she has absolutely no issues yelling at me to back off, lol.

Jessi, Dec 24, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  6. blurinoctober

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Sassy doesn't like anyone except for us, but she tolerates my sisters best friend. Dusty doesn't like men outside of my dad and he particularly dislikes my dad's friend who smokes. He doesn't like anyone with a large shadow, he gets scared and hides out until they're gone. But if he doesn't know they're big/tall, he'll come around (he's afraid of one of my friends when she stands or walks around but was acting like a ding-a-ling on top of her van, and I had to get him off there when he couldn't figure out how to get back down). He's also really afraid of my sisters best friend (the same one that Sassy likes) and jumped from the floor to the mantle, which is about 4 ft., and then to the kitchen floor to get away. It's really bizarre.

CinnamonKiss, Dec 25, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

blackcapped Active Member

My cats don't like certain people. The main factors that cause them not to like someone are noise, smell, and age. Sammy cannot stand a loud person. The smell of other animals often deters them. Age does seem to be a factor. While Tsuki is curious of younger children, Sammy stays away from them, regardless of the child's noise level. Gender and race has nothing to do with their selection.

blackcapped, Dec 26, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

I've had animals, dogs and cats, that are like that. I think they've never been around children in their entire lives, so they're skeptical. Bandit (a dog in my house) will run away from small children, no matter what. He's normally very friendly and loves everyone, so I don't exactly know why just children. I guess it's, as I said, just never being around them before. A college student owned him before I did, and I'm college age, so it makes sense.

blurinoctober, Dec 27, 2012
  9. blurinoctober

Epicfied Well-Known Member

As Jessi said, the older one hates everyone but likes males more.
    The younger one loves everyone once she's around them awhile.
    She gets really nervous and skid-dish if she doesn't know people though.

Epicfied, Dec 27, 2012
  10. blurinoctober

blackcapped Active Member

How funny. I have a dog named Bandit as well! I can't say he is quite as loving as you have described your's though.

Do you have small children around frequently? My animals have become more accustomed to children since my step-sister has been bringing her daughter over more.

blackcapped, Jan 2, 2013
  11. blurinoctober

Awwwh! It's funny, actually, the organization we adopted him from said his name was Shadow and since they had another animal by the same name, they'd been calling him Shadow-Bandit. We soon figured out he only answers to Bandit now! Hah.

And, nope! I don't have any children, nor does anyone I live with, so he's not around them much. Every once in a while I'll take him to a park, but that's about it.

blurinoctober, Jan 4, 2013
  12. blurinoctober

MER Well-Known Member

My resident cat has taken a major dislike towards me ever since bringing Rosco home (pictured). She growls, swats, and nips at me most of the time when I try to pet her. Oddly enough, she sleeps like a baby at my feet and even lets me pet her when she's dead asleep.

MER, Sep 1, 2015
  13. blurinoctober

Eaow Well-Known Member

Might be suffering a jealousy bout because of Rosco. The fact that she is comfortable sleeping at your feet means she has full confidence in you. Might just be resisting having to share you with another.

Eaow, Sep 1, 2015
  14. blurinoctober

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My cats seem to like everybody. Whenever people come over to visit us they are right there rubbing on them
    and looking for all the attention!! lol Some people don't mind it but then you get the people who aren't fond
    of cats and they seem annoyed but its my cat's home and if they don't like it then they shouldn't come visit.

Susan Brown, Sep 1, 2015
  15. blurinoctober

MER Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got to figure out how to re-connect with her. Problem is, she really doesn't want to give me the time of day.

MER, Sep 2, 2015
Ask a Question