Are Cats Cold-Blooded Killers?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CinnamonKiss, Feb 7, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

As usual there are people accusing cats of killing “small birds, mice & other animals, and that cats are cold hearted killers,” and, personally, I don't see the problem because they're over populated and cats aren't killing them to the point of extinction. I have more of a problem with how many cats aren't given a home and are forced to hunt to feed themselves. These accusers are making a big deal about it and I think them hunting has nothing to do with them being cold hearted or killers. I joke about our cats being "assassins" but that's because I think it's awesome our cats are so fast and intelligent and capable. I'd rather our cats hunt them than those mammals work their way into our home where we have to deal with them. Mice? YUCK!
    Our two fit the bill as far as hunting but we've had cats that were also pretty lazy house cats or only hunted for the first 3 years of life and the settled into bumming it around the house/yard. Someone in California made a interesting and cute video proving the statistics being thrown around couldn't accurately accuse all cats of hunting prey, because all of theirs are quite lazy. Some cats live in the city, with apartment owners, and couldn't possibly be hunting! The video is below, but what do you think about this "controversy" and how accurately does it describe or not describe your cats? Do you think cats are cold-blooded killers or just fluffy hunters by nature?

Articles Accusing Cats:
    Cats Are Really Natural Born Killers
    Killer Cats Take Down Billions of Birds, Report Says

CinnamonKiss, Feb 7, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

I really don't think they are cold-blooded killers! They are hunters and this is all part of the eco-system. Animals eat other animals! I don't know why people want to give animals a bad reputation. Cats are loving and intelligent!

steph84, Feb 8, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

I agree steph, it is part of their nature and they shouldn't be blamed for whether they act on it or not.
    Cats are very loving and intelligent and some people desperately want to paint them in a bad light.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 8, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Cats are natural hunters. They don't kill to be evil, they're just being cats. I posted an infographic in another thread about the quantities of animals that cats kill, and the infographic said, if you want to protect birds and small wildlife just keep your cats indoors. Many of us do that anyway.
    Cats that are out on the street hunting are in that situation because no one is taking care of them and they have to eat.

ACSAPA, Mar 20, 2013
  5. CinnamonKiss

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

"They're not killing them to the point of extinction"

In some areas, this is simply not true. While I don't think it's mostly true house cats, the domestic cat, when it goes feral, is a killing machine. They descend from some of the most well designed predators this planet has ever produced. Their very jaws are perfect for killing blows to the neck to the extent that they're shaped just right to pierce the jugular of smaller things. Their speed, cunning and eye sight make them a force to be reckoned with and there are places where, because of their incredibly well suited nature, they have bred to the point they're doing genuine ecological damage. We must remember to keep house cats indoors and at very least spay and neuter them so they do not continue this. As it is, in some paces, the damage is already done, but we don't have to continue the problem.

BTCGuru81, Mar 27, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

..Cats are carnivores. They're hunters, it's what their instincts tell them to do to survive. I have never been around cats that kill, kill, kill, but they will do it from time to time. I feel people are far too stereotypical when it comes to cats and don't truly understand the species at all.

blurinoctober, Mar 29, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

I have a cat who kills purely for fun. I always laugh when he meows at the door to be let in, has lunch and then immediately goes out. Little monster leaves carcasses on the porch all the time, refusing to eat them. Instead, he meows to be let in for a supper of kibble or the occasional wet food treat. It's funny but also kind of sad. I wish I knew how to put an end to that habit. Killing for food is one thing but he appears to do it for pure sport.

BTCGuru81, Mar 31, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

Cats are supposed to kill. They did it before we domesticated them, otherwise they would not be alive. That kind of comments accousing them of being cold-blooded killers come from very dumb ignorant people who wear pink coloured glasses.

Trellum, May 13, 2015
  9. CinnamonKiss

Grimp Member

Yup, cats are definately killers, the most horrific thing I ever saw my cat do was to kill a baby mouse and put it in its food bowl. The mother was also in the food bowl, but she was still alive and sitting next to its dead baby. My cat just sat there watching them both.. Dunno that seems pretty evil to me? xD So, I'm not sure about the cold blooded, or evil, side of cats, but I reckon hunters would have to cultivate a certain amount of evil as a practice for their way of life, to desensitise themselves and to understand their prey more!

Grimp, May 13, 2015
  10. CinnamonKiss

CinnaJinx Member

This is so bizarre. I lived with a family member for a while who would legitimately get angry at my younger cat any time he caught a bird or something. She'd call him "serial killer" with real disgust, wouldn't let him in her room when normally he was allowed, wouldn't pet him for a while, etc. But she was pretty mean and strange anyway, so I thought that was just her. I didn't realize other people thought this way, too. I don't understand it. Sure, it's sad when they kill something that's cute (I had to bury a baby bunny once) and I know there are some areas that are overpopulated with strays and that can create issues. But this idea that cats are "cold-blooded, heartless killers" and that they can be blamed in the way that we would blame a person is just ridiculous.

I think people forget that cats aren't really domesticated in the same way that dogs are. A while ago I read an article explaining that cats domesticated themselves out of necessity and had to learn to be a little more social with humans in order to survive, because we were settling so much land. So a mutually beneficial relationship grew out of cats needing to eat and farmers needing mice to not destroy their crops. My understanding, though, is that house cats still have the natural instinct to hunt, but since we provide food for them, they don't really know what they're supposed to do with the kill afterwards (although mine will often eat them).

I've also read that cats will hunt and bring us their kills because they either think we're too stupid to get our own food (so they have to feed us), or they're trying to teach us to hunt. :) Don't remember where I read that one, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

In any case, are they killers? Yes, of course! They're a predatory animal. Are they "cold-blooded" or "heartless"? No, of course not! They're cats, for Pete's sake. They're not looking at a bird and thinking, "Well, I know that species is nearing extinction and this could really mess up the eco-system, but murder is just so fun." It's absolutely silly to try to attach human concepts of morality to their actions.

CinnaJinx, May 14, 2015
  11. CinnamonKiss

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Cats are predators by nature. I don't like to see my cats go on the prowl for the pigeons that come into our yard, and a few that have been caught. But this is the cat it will hunt birds, mice and insects. I don't mind the mice too much since we have had our cats we haven't had too many mice in our home. So, this is something that the cats have cut down on the rodents getting into the house. I just wish they would leave the birds alone, but that's another issue all together.

pafjlh, May 15, 2015
  12. CinnamonKiss

Anne Well-Known Member

Well if cats are cold blooded killers/serial killers and all the rest of it I should definitely have kept my sweetheart locked up in his prison (my house) and he would be alive today. I only know a cat that brought me much pleasure and was full of love. When he brought the mouse to the door once or twice and I almost died of fright, I figured the gift was also a gift brought with love. The only problem was not I could he did not realise that I prefer not to see those kinds of gifts.

Seriously though, there are predators by nature and that in no suggest they are heartless. We cat lovers know otherwise.

Anne, May 19, 2015
  13. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

Did you find your two cats? Been wondering if you had received good news? It's been a while since you first told us about them missing, I hope you did find them safe. Please keep us informed.

Trellum, May 21, 2015
  14. CinnamonKiss

LilAnn Well-Known Member

They're hunters. I don't think any animal can be a cold blooded killer. That's purely human.

LilAnn, May 26, 2015
  15. CinnamonKiss

ellie Active Member

Agree with all of you. Cats are natural hunters, but that doesn't make them cold blooded killers. My Tinkerbell loves spending time outdoors and she usually just lays in the grass and hangs out in the sunshine. I've never seen her chase a bird or do anything "cold blooded". Sometimes a small lizard will get in the house (we're in Florida) and she'll make a game of trying to catch it, but I don't think she actually means to kill it.

ellie, May 27, 2015
  16. CinnamonKiss

LilAnn Well-Known Member

does she ever make you wonder if it isn't a territory thing? I think that's how kitty kiss is. If there is something in the house that doesn't belong, she's on it! Outside though, not so much.

LilAnn, May 28, 2015
Ask a Question