Advice on Trimming Claws

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Viola, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Viola

Viola Member

Our older cat absolutely hates getting her claws trimmed so we don't do it too often, and generally wait until we hear them click clicking on the hardwood floor. She is 16 now and we want to make sure she stays happy and healthy for as many years as we can, but having to cut her claws causes her so much stress. Any suggestions on how to clip a cat's claws without freaking them out? Oh, and she hates being wrapped in a towel.

Viola, Sep 17, 2012
  2. Viola

Jessi Well-Known Member

Why do you need to have them clipped at this point? If she's that old, is she really scratching up that much at this point? Most people don't have them trimmed at all. They're not like dogs where they need it done regularly.

Jessi, Sep 17, 2012
  3. Viola

Viola Member

It's not that she is scratching things, but her nails keep getting caught in bedding and fabric. I'm not worried about my own stuff, but I am worried about her getting stuck and hurting herself

Viola, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Viola

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

To be honest with you, if she's very old and it stresses her out so much, it might be better for you to have her taken to the vet for it done under sedation. If you don't want to take her to a vet, you might want to consider trying something like Feliway, to chill her out a bit. I have also discovered that my cat is more likely to let me trim his nails, if I give him some catnip first, and show him he can have some treats afterwards. He has a good old MOAN about it whilst he's being trimmed, but I think that's because he doesn't like the fact that his claws aren't going to be their sharp and scratchy selves for a bit.

I wouldn't trim them at all if he was an outdoor cat, but he isn't. I don't believe in declawing, but I value the skin around my ankles, so I trim them every so often.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
  5. Viola

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I have tried to trim mine but they hated it, and my cats are fairly dosile little cats. They sat and let me do it, mind you, I used a very sharp Nail Clipper.

Honestly, if you get them a rough scratching post, or something hard for them to scratch on, it will wear down their claws. I have hardwood floors now, and it really bluntens them.

Viola my cat does exactly the same, she gets herself caught, so I go free her and always say "Pussington, no!" and she learns she is doing bad. You can always try the plastic nail covers you can buy online, but my cats nails were so sharp they went right through them.

Scottyxx, Sep 18, 2012
  6. Viola

I've seen those coloured nail covers online, and I didn't think they'd really be any good. I wouldn't use them anyway, because I think keeping claws trimmed is a better idea, in the absence of any surface or scratchpost. Zod scratches everything BUT the scratchpost, but will stop when I tell him now. I think those nail covers are mostly meant for cosmetic purposes, which I really loathe. I don't dress any of my animals up, or have them wearing silly outfits.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 19, 2012
  7. Viola

Yeah they say they work, but in my house they did not. We bought them because our little cat, Pussington, kept on hurting herself, but getting her claws caught on the window screens, then being stuck for hours and hours, she would wriggle and twist. I would come home and she would be crying. That's why we tried them.

Scottyxx, Sep 19, 2012
  8. Viola

Cats are a bit daft like that, they get themselves stuck and can't get away from stuff. I saw Zod get himself stuck on a LAMPSHADE of all things once, he almost shredded it trying to escape. I think this is probably a reason why a lot of people choose to declaw, especially if they're out a lot and don't want their cat stuck on something and end up pulling their claw right out. I don't LIKE declawing, but I understand why some people do it.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 20, 2012
  9. Viola

Yeah we were thinking about it for my little one, but once I read about it and how awful it is I decided not too, I would just keep an eye on her. She has learned and is A LOT better now, she doesn't get so upset when she get stuck now, which is great, the only bad thing she does is climb like spiderman up the screens, which if she wasn't so cute, I would get mad at!

Scottyxx, Sep 20, 2012
  10. Viola

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our cats don't like to be handled too much, our oldest one in particular. I don't know how the vets do it, but I'm not risking getting mauled by our cats in attempting to cut their nails.

OhioTom76, Sep 21, 2012
  11. Viola

Its also not good for the cats if the wriggle, you can end up splitting the nail, and splintering it, which I guess would be like a hangnail for a cat, and you can also end up cutting to close "into the quick" and cause them to bleed. If you are not confident, don't do it.

Scottyxx, Sep 24, 2012
  12. Viola

andrew320 Well-Known Member

First, be sure to rub their paws softly so they can trust you and know you're not going to hurt them. Another factor is to give them treats afterwards. This will give them the notion they will be rewarded or given something after getting their nails trimmed. Also, do it when they're relaxed (not sleeping but also not going nuts running around the apartment).

andrew320, Sep 24, 2012
Ask a Question