Acne In Cats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by blurinoctober, Apr 12, 2013.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I was wondering if this is something you've encountered and, if so, how common it is in cats? I took Sibyl to the vet today and found she has some black heads at the base of her tail! It just got me thinking about if it's a common occurrence or what causes it in general.

Sibyl has some sort of skin infection and stomach bloating, so they gave her two shots, an antibiotic, and a special food to get her back to normal. I'm sure her blackheads are a side effect of the skin infection, but what about in other cats? Can the cause be more simple, have you ever had to deal with it?

blurinoctober, Apr 12, 2013
  2. blurinoctober

glitteringfuzz Member

I used to have this white cat with horrible blackheads on his chin. We took him to the vet who told us that we should switch to metal bowls. Apparently plastic dishes hold in the oils of cat food, and then his chin rubs against it when he eats. The quality of the food also plays a part. A high-quality dry food is the best option for clearing up/avoiding blemishes. Brushing and gentle bathing should help, but avoid any topical products and try to leave the area alone as much as possible. :)

I hope your cat feels better soon!

glitteringfuzz, Apr 26, 2013
  3. blurinoctober

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I didn't even know cats could get acne, or that plastic bowls played a role in causing it. I don't think I've ever seen a cat with pimples. I'm sorry that happened to you guys. Poor cats.

ACSAPA, Apr 28, 2013
  4. blurinoctober

Trellum Well-Known Member

I had no idea cats could get blackheads, lol. Yikes, I don't think I've seen than happening to Bob. I guess those cats who suffer from this have some sort of hormonal imbalance? Usually that's what is happening when a human suffers from acne on his/her adult years.

Trellum, Jan 3, 2014
Ask a Question