7 Foods to NEVER Feed Your Cat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Although it can be irksome for owners, being branded finicky could ultimately be a boon for cats - especially when it comes to ingesting potentially dangerous foods.
    "The main drivers of palatability for cats are protein and fat content, with moisture and texture being important too," says Dr. Sally Perea, DVM, DACVN, a board-certified veterinary nutritionist at P&G Pet Care in Ohio.

Related: 6 Human Foods Dangerous For Dogs & Other Pets

Some "people food" is safe for cats in small amounts, but certain items - like raw fish and eggs - are definitely hazardous. Dr. Perea lists the top seven no-no foods for kitties:

Feline Food Offender #1: Raw Fish
    "Human-grade sushi is generally safe for people, but it can cause gastrointestinal upset in cats," says Dr. Perea. "There is thiaminase in raw fish that could break down an essential B vitamin called thiamine in cats. Thiamine deficiency can cause neurological problems - and even lead to convulsions."

Full rticle here: http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/7-foods-never-feed-cat-133100564.html

Trellum, Jan 16, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  2. Trellum

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

I'm drinking my milk right now and my cats just giving me that stare........

Mocha&Latte, Jan 16, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  3. Trellum

Hehehe! Good luck with that! Mine does that a lot as well thinking I will surely give in and give him some :D But it never ever works ;) He meows and purrs a lot, maybe one day he will realize any kind of attempt is futile :p

Trellum, Jan 20, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  4. Trellum

That's so true. I pretend like i'm about to give it to him or both of them but then i quickly take it back.I feel kinda guilty at times but they and you get over it later on.;)

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  5. Trellum

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would ever give my cats raw fish. Do people really do this? This makes me think of some ditz giving their cat sushi and thinking it's good for them.

steph84, Feb 2, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  6. Trellum

Well, Steph84, I think my in laws feed their cat his salmon raw. I never really paid a lot attention to that to be honest, I was more focused on the fact that cat eats only salmon and beef, lol.

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  7. Trellum

Yeah, they might not know it, but we are actually doing this to protect them. Because milk isn't even good for some of us, lol, let alone for a cat. Kinda funny my mom always told me I should feed warm milk to the new kitties.

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  8. Trellum

Yeah, true. Many people just spread the word that milk is good for your cat. It is kind of like a fake rumor. Yeah, what a coincidence! My aunt always told me to feed warm milk too.

Mocha&Latte, Mar 1, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  9. Trellum

I hope more people read this kind of articles :) So they can realize how harmful milk is for their pets, I don't want to tell you what milk does to my dogs if they ever manage to get some somehow! Milk is also very bad for us, the cow milk of course, because the cow milk is only good for baby cows. I know it sounds very obvious and silly, but I actually read an article stating that :p It's something about the enzymes.

Trellum, Mar 4, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  10. Trellum

Jessi Well-Known Member

I can't imagine feeding my cat most of these foods anyway. I mean...why would my cat want macadamia nuts? Or avocados? She's going to reject those, I think.

But fish? Oh yeah, she's going to ask for that! I would be too scared to feed her raw fish, but I still sneak her cooked fish from time to time.

Jessi, Mar 25, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  11. Trellum

Well, Jessi, some cats do eat anything, others are too picky. That's why I posted this here, because I know some owners will find this useful .) You never know...

Trellum, Apr 4, 2014
    Liliana P. likes this.
  12. Trellum

Liliana P. Member

Thanks for the info, Trellum. I try to keep my cats with their own food only. I never try anything else, as whenever that happened they´ve always ended up with diarrhea. I stick to the usual cat food to guarantee they are fine.

Liliana P., Dec 7, 2014
  13. Trellum

maryannballeras Member

Whenever my mom is cooking some fish in the kitchen, our cats always circle around her, wanting to grab that raw fish. We never knew that it was dangerous, but we still do not give them any of the raw fish, mainly because it's not intended for them. Good decision for us!

maryannballeras, Dec 8, 2014
  14. Trellum

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this article. Some of these foods like avocado or nuts most individuals wouldn't give to their cats. Why would we, they seem like silly things to give a cat or even a dog. But raw fish and milk, these are some that I'm sure people have mistakenly thought were all right to give them. I will admit out loud that I made the mistake with milk. I have given it to puppies in my home in the past. I also fed it to Pepper and her kittens. Then Pepper started to show signs of being Lactose intolerant, and turns out after doing research that giving a cat milk isn't a good idea. So, now our cats only get water to drink, it was hard for them to adjust to this at first, but now they don't seem to miss the milk at all.

pafjlh, Dec 22, 2014
  15. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Anne, Dec 27, 2014
  16. Trellum

mimio Active Member

Why cats can't eat raw fish??? I can't understand it, they always eat fish since long long age. I know shouldn't give them chocolate.

mimio, Jan 16, 2015
  17. Trellum

erik Well-Known Member

Wow milks are bad for cats? They seem to really love it tho... anyway it kinda makes sense and it's funny to think that we humans are the only species who drink milk from other species and also inadvertently trained our pets to do the same.

erik, Mar 14, 2015
  18. Trellum

Milk is terrible for both us and cats... we just can't digest it so well, cow milk should be only drunk by the babies of the cow... not us. Sadly. I heard goat milk is better, but in any case I recommend lactose free milk...

Trellum, Apr 7, 2015
  19. Trellum

LOL, you'd be so surprised as to how ''silly'' and ''stupid'' some people can be, if i have learnt one thing during my short life... is the fact that there are no limits for stupidity. You think people might not give that to their cats? Well, you'd be surprised, lol.

Trellum, Apr 7, 2015
Ask a Question