15 Beautiful Odd-Eyed Cats

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Jessi, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

These lovelies were mentioned in the "cats in hats" thread, so I thought I'd share some more pictures:

http://mysmelly.com/content/cats/15-cats-with-odd-eyes.htm

Strangely enough, even though it's a condition found most often in white cats, this collection has a higher ratio of other-colored cats, too.

Jessi, Jul 12, 2012
    rara and QuatreHiead like this.
  2. Jessi

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

Oh! How beautiful! Heterochromia! That does happen quite often in cats. It's gorgeous. I used to know some of the biology and genetics behind what was going on there. I've fogotten, but a lot of the time it's so uniquely beautiful to look at. I can't say I've ever owned a heterochromic cat.

QuatreHiead, Jul 13, 2012
  3. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

I wonder if some of them are not photoshoped..
    But I can't imagine living with one :D I wouldn't be able to get my eyes off it :p

violino, Jul 13, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I suppose they could have photoshopped some. It's a real disorder, though, so they DO exist naturally.

And I'd probably have a hard time not looking at their eyes even more often, too, hehe.

Jessi, Jul 13, 2012
  5. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know they do exist naturally. It's the same with people as well. And dogs. And probably many more animals as well, however I haven't known anyone with such eyes. But I'd love to have such on my own!

violino, Jul 15, 2012
  6. Jessi

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

Well here is a link to the Wikipedia article for heterochromia iridum: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia_iridum

It does occur naturally, I was hoping it would say the likelihood of occurrence, but no such link there. I think it's rare, but not extremely rare. That wiki page also links to a specific article on cats with heterochromia, so occurs often enough would be my guess for cats. Most of the time in white colored cats. There are even certain species of cats they name as predisposed to this happening. So definitely a natural mutation or disorder.

I was quite interested in this for a decent period of time. If nothing else my user icon gives me away. ^___^;
    I didn't get very lucky myself in the gene pool on this one either. It would be cool. Evidently I was close however because my grandfather did have sort of type of heterochromia iridum.... However it is interesting to note the number of characters in popular media that have heterochromic eyes. I would say most often recognized would be Yuna from Final Fantasy X series.

QuatreHiead, Jul 15, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's a lovely set of pictures. I read somewhere that of the two different-colored eyes, one will not turn red when you shine a torch at it at night. I forget which one it is

Victor Leigh, Jul 15, 2012
  8. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

Aw, these babies are so cute! I want one!

steph84, Jul 16, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Blue eyes produce red-eye when the flash hits them. So the one that won't produce red is the yellow/green/brown one.

Jessi, Jul 16, 2012
  10. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

These cats are stunning. I love their different colored eyes.

ACSAPA, Jul 26, 2012
  11. Jessi

rara Member

Beautiful cat pictures ! Thanks for sharing ! ;)

rara, Aug 22, 2012
Ask a Question